Partner | Wellington
Andy acts for businesses in patenting inventions, registering designs and advising on freedom to operate, in New Zealand and overseas.
Andy has a business focus and specialises in advising on freedom to operate and possible infringement issues, often in relation to USA and Europe as well as New Zealand and Australia. He also drafts and prosecutes commercially focussed patent and registered design applications, and handles contentious proceedings.
Previously, Andy was a partner of a UK firm of patent attorneys, having spent his formative years of training in London, and registering as a patent agent in the United Kingdom in 2004 and in Europe in 2005. He represented clients at the UK and European Patent Offices, and frequently handled pre-court negotiations and settlements.
Andy enjoys being closely involved with businesses and meeting the clever people involved. He is regularly surprised and enthused by the innovative and pragmatic approach to problems in New Zealand, and looks forward to that continuing.
- Patent filing and examination
- Patent searching
- Patent oppositions and revocations
- Registered designs
- Mechanical, electrical and electronic engineering
- Information and communication technology
- Medical technology
- Freedom to operate
- Registered Patent Attorney (New Zealand and Australia)
- European Patent Attorney
- Registered and Chartered Patent Attorney (United Kingdom)
- 1999 Masters of Engineering (Mechanical & Manufacturing) – University of Leeds, United Kingdom