Baldwins Law Limited
Brigette assists clients in the enforcement of intellectual property rights and dispute resolution.
Brigette specialises in all areas of intellectual property dispute resolution and advice. This includes trade mark oppositions and infringement matters, passing off and Fair Trading Act matters, and border protection, as well as domain name, design and copyright disputes. She also advises clients on commercial issues related to intellectual property, including contractual matters.
Before joining Baldwins in 2012, Brigette practised general litigation including employment law for five years at a major New Zealand commercial law firm. She has represented clients at mediation, at the Intellectual Property Office of New Zealand (IPONZ), and throughout the courts, including at the Court of Appeal.
Brigette loves the range of clients she comes into contact with every day in the intellectual property field - from hugely talented and inspiring authors of copyright works to large companies that have, through hard work and great ideas, grown to be world leaders in their field.
- Opposition and infringement matters
- Fair Trading Act and passing off
- Domain name disputes
- Border protection
- Contractual issues
- Barrister and Solicitor of the High Court of New Zealand
- 2010 Bachelor of Arts - Victoria University of Wellington
- 2006 Bachelor of Laws (Hons) - Victoria University of Wellington
Publications & Citations
- Bereskin, D. et al International Trade Mark Dilution (2015 ed) Thomson Reuters, Chapter 16 – New Zealand.
- British American Tobacco (Brands) Inc. v NV Sumatra Tobacco Trading Company (2010) 86 IPR 206 (Court of Appeal)
- New Zealand Maori Council v Attorney-General  NZLR 318 (Court of Appeal)
- TKS SA v Swatch AG (Swatch SA) Swatch Ltd)  NZHC 2642 (High Court)
- NV Nutricia v Cambricare New Zealand Ltd  NZHC 1344 (High Court)
- Le Cordon Bleu v Commissioner of Trade Marks  NZHC 724;  NZAR 524 (High Court)
- Takeda GmbH  NZIPOPAT 27 (IPONZ)
Articles by Brigette Shone
- 20 07 2017Intellectual property – where do I start?!
- 18 01 2017Louis Vuitton’s appeal fails in parody case
- 18 10 2016Additional damages for trade mark infringement?
- 06 10 2015TPPA concluded: initial IP changes signalled
- 13 08 2013Please don’t verb my adjective: Social media trade mark guidelines
- 01 05 2013A double bogey for descriptive domain names
- 01 02 2013First alleged pirate walks the plank – lands in shallow water