Baldwins Law Limited
Chris assists clients in securing and protecting their brands with registered trade marks.
Chris specialises in trade mark clearance searches, as well as trade mark prosecution, opposition, revocation and invalidity proceedings. He is also an expert in protecting trade marks in overseas jurisdictions and provides strategic trade mark portfolio advice.
Before joining Baldwins in 2000, Chris’ career included time as a trade mark and design examiner with the Intellectual Property Office of
New Zealand (IPONZ) and eight years specialising in trade marks in the United Kingdom. During this time, Chris worked as an in-house trade mark specialist with a major UK multi-national corporation and for five years with a London patent and trade mark attorney firm.
Chris particularly enjoys the one-to-one contact he has with clients and takes great satisfaction from seeing his clients’ products on shelves and succeeding in the marketplace.
- Trade mark law
- Foreign trade mark protection
- Fair Trading Act and passing off
- Trade mark clearance and protection
- Trade mark infringement
- Barrister & Solicitor of the High Court of New Zealand
- 2011 Bachelor of Laws, Victoria University of Wellington
- 1988 Bachelor of Science, University of Canterbury
Awards & Recognition
Best Lawyers™ in New Zealand 2021, Intellectual Property
Articles by Chris Ross
- 27 08 2020IP Australia announces fee changes
- 13 12 2019Upcoming changes to New Zealand trade mark law
- 30 09 2019Fee increases for New Zealand patents but good news for trade marks
- 13 03 2013Exporters to Australia Beware: Mind your Rs and TMs
- 20 11 2012The International Trade Mark System – What is in it for New Zealand Businesses?