Associate | Wellington
Claire helps clients obtain and enforce patent rights.
Claire specialises in patent application filing and prosecution in
New Zealand and Australia. She provides patent validity and infringement advice and advises on intellectual property protection strategies, including oppositions. Claire also provides advice on trade mark matters.
After completing her honours degree in chemistry in 1997, Claire worked at the Intellectual Property Office of New Zealand (IPONZ), first as a trade mark examiner and then as a patent examiner. She later joined Baldwins and qualified as a New Zealand patent attorney. In 2005, Claire moved to London where she worked in trade marks at Manches LLP and then at Speechly Bircham LLP. In 2011 Claire returned to New Zealand and to Baldwins.
Claire loves the range of fascinating inventions and interesting clients she encounters through her role. She particularly enjoys working with leading pharmaceutical companies.
- Patent filing and examination
- Trade marks
- Organic chemistry
- Pharmaceuticals and agrichemicals
- Physical chemistry
- NZIPA – New Zealand Institute of Patent Attorneys - Fellow
- Registered Patent Attorney (New Zealand and Australia)
- 1997 Bachelor of Science (Hons 1st Class), University of Otago
Articles by Claire McInnes
- 20 03 2017New Zealand Patents Act 2013 - Has the medical treatment exclusion failed?
- 10 08 2015Something Old Can Become Something New: Prior Use in Australia and New Zealand
- 22 08 2013Singaporean Patent System Upheaval Imminent
- 13 07 2013US Supreme Court Rethinks the Patentability of Human Genes
- 15 11 2011Australia and New Zealand to form Joint Body for Regulating Therapeutic Goods