Baldwins Law Limited
Deborah advises clients on the protection and commercialisation of their intellectual property, concentrating on branding and trade mark matters.
Deborah provides expert advice and assistance across the full spectrum of intellectual property matters. She specialises in branding and trade mark portfolio advice, trade practices legislation, and commercial and intellectual property agreements. Deborah has a particular interest in working with people in the ICT industries.
Before joining Baldwins, Deborah practiced for four years at commercial law firm Kensington Swan. While there, she gained experience in general commercial law and dispute resolution, including intellectual property litigation, company, insolvency, media law and trade practices legislation.
Deborah continues to be surprised by the range of exceptional businesses, people and ideas that she encounters on a day-to-day basis. She is delighted to be part of an industry that helps these people and their businesses – from the smallest to the largest – to ground themselves and flourish.
Deborah has a young family and enjoys singing in her spare time for an award winning barbershop chorus.
- Trade marks and brand protection
- Border protection measures
- Commercial and intellectual property agreements
- Legislative compliance (product labelling)
- Fair Trading Act and passing off
- Barrister and Solicitor of the High Court of
- 2001 Bachelor of Laws, Victoria University of Wellington
- 1994 Master of Science, University of Auckland
- 1992 Bachelor of Science, University of Auckland
Awards & Recognition
Articles by Deborah Kessell-Haak
- 03 05 2018Are You Ready? New Trade Mark Requirements in the Wine Equivalent Tax (WET) Rebate Regime
- 19 06 2017Geographical Indications: Ready, Set…Almost Go
- 01 06 2017Geographical Indications: On track for late July
- 10 01 2017Battle of the Masters: MasterCard defeated by the World Masters Games
- 11 07 2016Geographical Indications: Ready or Not Here They Come
- 09 03 2016Nobody Home: Changes to IPONZ returned mail process
- 11 11 2015New Zealand Domain Name Commission’s Review of the .nz WHOIS Database
- 11 04 2014Swimwear Designer Sees The Folly of Her Ways
- 12 02 2014Jandal caught in tide of genericide?
- 04 12 2013Copyright’s Blurred Lines
- 12 10 2013The Fame Game: Use of Famous Trade Marks in Video Games
- 12 10 2013Land of Plenty but Too Close to Home?
- 10 07 2013Complacency Not an Option
- 25 04 2013Inventions that are just…well…cool
- 13 11 2012Surfing the Social Media Wave