Dr Fiona Pringle
Baldwins Law Limited
Fiona assists clients in patent and design matters, from filing through to grant, in both New Zealand and Australia.
Fiona acts in all areas of patent and design prosecution in New Zealand and Australia, including in hearings before the Intellectual Property Office of New Zealand (IPONZ) and in opposition proceedings. She focuses mainly on the life sciences, biotechnology and pharmaceutical areas, but also has experience with animal health and food and beverage technologies. In addition, Fiona assists clients with plant variety rights matters.
Before joining Baldwins in 2005, Fiona was a science policy advisor working in the biotechnology area for a government department. She also spent three years as a research scientist at a university in the United States after completing her PhD.
Fiona enjoys helping her clients to protect their inventions in
New Zealand and Australia. She loves being involved at the forefront of technologies and innovations in areas that make a real difference.
- Patent filing and examination
- Patent searching
- Patent oppositions and revocations
- Registered designs
- Plant variety rights
- Life sciences/biotechnology
- Medical devices/diagnostic technology
- Animal health
- Food and beverage
- Registered Patent Attorney (New Zealand and Australia)
- Barrister and Solicitor of the High Court of
- 2012 Bachelor of Laws, Victoria University of Wellington
- 2000 PhD (Microbiology), University of Otago
- 1994 Bachelor of Science (Hons), University of Otago
Awards & Recognition
Articles by Dr Fiona Pringle
- 04 08 2017Divisional dilemmas – tricks and traps for New Zealand practice
- 22 10 2015What’s your priority (date for your patent claim)?
- 21 10 2015Terribly sorry, Sir Walter…your plant variety denomination can’t be a trade mark too
- 17 12 2013IPONZ Hearing Office rules on kit claims and consistency
- 04 07 2013Australia’s review of pharmaceutical patents