Dr Jared Scarlett
Senior Associate | Wellington
Jared specialises in helping clients in the biotech and pharmaceutical industries obtain patent protection for their inventions.
Dr Jared Scarlett works primarily in the areas of patents, but also advises on copyright and design protection. He specialises in drafting and prosecution of patent specifications, providing patent validity and infringement advice, conducting intellectual property audits and due diligence, and advising on IP strategy development and implementation.
Jared’s primary technical areas of expertise are biochemistry and biotechnology, including gene discovery, diagnosis and vaccines, as well as in the pharmaceutical and drug discovery areas. His PhD research focused on the induction of the apoptotic cell death pathway, a cellular process that has been implicated in many neurological disorders.
Jared is based in our Wellington office though he regularly travels south to Christchurch and the surrounding areas to work with clients.
Jared has a real passion for the biotech sector and regularly gives lectures at the University of Victoria in Wellington for a number of courses, including a series entitled ‘Things a biotechnologist needs to know about IP’ for the University’s biotechnology course.
- Patent filing and examination
- Patent searching
- Freedom to operate
- Patent oppositions and revocations
- IP audits
- IP strategy
- Registered designs
- Registered Patent Attorney (New Zealand and Australia)
- 2000 PhD (Biochemistry), University of Otago
- 1996 Bachelor of Science (Hons) (Biochemistry), University of Otago
Awards & Recognition
Articles by Dr Jared Scarlett
- 10 08 2015Something Old Can Become Something New: Prior Use in Australia and New Zealand
- 10 06 2015An expensive lesson in licensing – when exclusively performing an act does not make you an exclusive
- 13 05 2014Pacific Edge has the ‘edge’ at NZBIO Awards
- 28 11 2013Like water off a…Butterfly’s Wing?
- 27 11 2013Shhhh! It is a secret! The TPP fights it out over patents