Baldwins Law Limited
Duncan helps clients develop and implement their intellectual property strategy with a focus on patents and registered designs.
Duncan specialises in all aspects of patents, registered designs and copyright and their commericalisation. He has a deep understanding of the aeronautical, building, cleantech, greentech, infrastructure, manufacturing, marine, medical devices, mining and mineral, packaging, recreational, sustainability, and transport fields.
Prior to working at Baldwins, Duncan worked as an intellectual property specialist both in leading intellectual property firms and as in-house intellectual property counsel. This combination of experience since 2000 brings a unique perspective and understanding of clients’ needs. Before that he worked as an R&D thermal and mechanical design engineer for a multinational power electronics company.
Duncan is based in our Auckland office and regularly travels to Christchurch and the surrounding areas to work with clients.
Duncan enjoys understanding client’s needs and their business goals and aligning their intellectual property strategy and rights to match these goals. He also enjoys working closely with clients to understand their invention how it works, its application and future applications it might have.
- IP strategy
- IP portfolio due diligence
- Mechanical and manufacturing inventions
- Cleantech and sustainability
- Registered designs
- Infringement and validity of patents and designs
- Registered Patent Attorney (New Zealand and Australia)
- Barrister and Solicitor of the High Court of
- 2009 Bachelor of Laws, University of Auckland
- 1997 Master of Engineering (Mech), University of Auckland
- 1994 Bachelor of Engineering (Eng Sc), University of Auckland
Awards & Recognition
Best Lawyers™ in New Zealand 2021, Intellectual Property
Articles by Duncan Schaut
- 04 03 2020Brexit and Intellectual property rights
- 20 11 2019How may Brexit affect my IP rights in the UK?
- 30 08 2019Grace period for patents in New Zealand
- 07 07 2017Kiwis Jump in the Fast Lane: New Zealand joins the Global Patent Prosecution Highway
- 19 12 2016Amendments to New Zealand’s Patents Act set to become law
- 28 11 2016IP101 – salient points for start-ups to consider
- 11 07 2012Flexible roll over protection? Award winning!
- 24 02 2011A single patent examination for New Zealand and Australia
- 01 07 2010Patents back in business, at least in the US
- 01 06 2010Registered Designs in New Zealand: Changes allowing restoration and publication
- 31 03 2010Select Committee reports on new Patents Bill in New Zealand