Baldwins Law Limited
With over 14 years’ experience in IP covering both in-house and private practice advisory roles, as well as a background in running a manufacturing business, Gareth is perfectly suited to helping his clients protect their brands.Gareth specialises in trade mark registration and trade mark ‘freedom to use’ advice in New Zealand and overseas. He also advises on trade mark opposition, revocation, infringement, and co-existence matters. His clients operate in a wide range of business areas, including food and beverage, containers, and building products.
Before joining Baldwins in 2019, Gareth worked in private practice intellectual property roles in New Zealand and the United Kingdom and an in-house intellectual property advisory role for an Auckland based manufacturer. He has considerable experience in both patent and trade mark law. He also spent 5 years establishing and running a manufacturing business in Australia.
Gareth enjoys achieving legal solutions that improve the commercial value of his clients’ businesses and their brands, and that meet their commercial goals. On the weekends, he enjoys spending time outdoors with his wife and two young boys.
- Trade mark and branding strategies, including portfolio management
- International brand strategy
- Advising on trade mark availability and registrability
- Filing and prosecuting local and international trade marks
- Border protection, parallel importing and import/export brand strategy
- Trade mark enforcement including advice on trade mark oppositions, revocations and invalidity actions
- Negotiating and preparing settlement and co-existence agreements, confidentiality agreements and licences.
- Barrister and Solicitor of the High Court of New Zealand
- Registered Patent Attorney (New Zealand and Australia)
- Registered Trade Mark Attorney (Australia)
- 1998, Bachelor of Laws, Victoria University of Wellington
- 1995, Bachelor of Science, University of Otago