Baldwins Law Limited & Baldwins Intellectual Property
John leads the life sciences practice in our Auckland office.John has more than 15 years’ experience working with Australasian and overseas clients in the life sciences sector to identify, establish, leverage, and commercialise their intellectual property rights.
He has extensive experience in drafting and prosecuting patent applications, assessing infringement and validity, advising on freedom to operate and patentability issues, portfolio management, and providing strategic advice for his clients.
John’s experience and background allow him to understand his clients’ technologies and their businesses, then help his clients implement appropriate strategies to obtain and enforce their intellectual property rights and meet their commercial goals.
Prior to entering the IP profession, John was a Postdoctoral Research Fellow at Harvard Medical School and Brigham and Women’s Hospital. His postdoctoral and PhD research focussed on mechanisms controlling the expression of eukaryotic and prokaryotic selenoproteins involved in oxidative stress and hormone regulation. John’s research has been published in a number of scientific research publications.
Outside of the office, John loves spending time with his family exploring New Zealand’s great outdoors.
- IP strategy
- Freedom to operate, validity and infringement opinions
- Patent drafting and prosecution
- Patentability assessments
- Portfolio management
- Registered Trans-Tasman Patent Attorney (New Zealand and Australia)
- Barrister and Solicitor of the High Court of New Zealand
- 2007 Bachelor of Laws, University of Auckland
- 1999 PhD, Molecular Biology and Biochemistry, University of Otago
- 1992 Bachelor of Science (Hons), University of Otago