Baldwins Law Limited
Kate helps local and international clients to protect, enforce and defend their trade mark rights.
Kate specialises in trade mark protection, management and enforcement. She has particular expertise in the automotive, entertainment, food and beverage, sportswear and telecommunication industries.
Before joining Baldwins, Kate worked at the Intellectual Property Office of New Zealand (IPONZ), as a senior trade mark examiner.
Kate majored in marketing while studying for her commerce degree and has always been drawn to the intangible aspects of brands and brand culture. Her skills and interests are ideal for work in intellectual property law.
Outside office hours Kate can be found beside a BMX track cheering on her two children who race competitively, or stealing a quiet moment to enjoy a good coffee.
- Trade marks and branding
- Fair Trading Act and passing off matters
- Strategic planning for trade mark protection
- Trade mark and brand clearance and protection
- Trade mark prosecution, including compilation of evidence and research on trade mark usage
- Protection and enforcement of trade mark rights
- Border protection for trade marks and brands
- Barrister and Solicitor of the High Court of
- 2006 Bachelor of Laws, Victoria University of Wellington
- 2006 Bachelor of Commercial Administration, Victoria University of Wellington
Articles by Kate Giddens
- 14 05 2013Georgie Pie: a brand that forever lives on in the hearts of its fans, and on the trade marks registe
- 13 07 2013MUZZ BUZZ secures a caffeine hit (and a permanent injunction) over JITTA BUZZ
- 28 11 2014How to stay ahead of your competitors and build brand value
- 18 03 2015Release of .nz Domains: Are You Ready?
- 13 02 2017Australia’s draft intellectual property legislation proposes changes to the Australian IP system
- 01 06 2017Geographical Indications: On track for late July
- 19 06 2017Geographical Indications: Ready, Set…Almost Go
- 09 04 2019A guide to using your trade mark correctly