Baldwins Law Limited
Lucy helps clients to protect their brands in New Zealand and overseas.
Lucy is a New Zealand lawyer, Australian Trade Marks Attorney, and Trans-Tasman Patent Attorney with 20 years’ experience specialising in trade mark and copyright law.
After starting her career in the Baldwins Wellington office in 1998, Lucy spent two years working for a boutique intellectual property firm in London. During this time, Lucy also worked as an in-house trade mark manager for a multinational drinks business. Lucy then returned to Baldwins’ Auckland office where she has worked since 2003.
Lucy works with a diverse range of clients from start-ups to multinational companies in a wide range of industries. She enjoys working together with clients to develop and execute an IP strategy that fits with their business goals, needs, and which best protects their brands and related intellectual property.
Lucy advises clients on all aspects of trade mark law, including freedom to operate searches for new brands and markets, registration of trade marks in New Zealand and overseas, and contentious matters and proceedings, including oppositions, revocations, and infringement matters. Lucy also advises clients on related intellectual property matters such as copyright and agreements.
Outside work, Lucy enjoys the arts, the great outdoors, and spending time with family and friends.
- Searching and advising in relation to the creation of new brands
- Trade mark registration
- Trade mark oppositions and revocations
- Contentious matters such as trade mark infringement, passing off and Fair Trading Act breaches
- Copyright advice
- IP related agreements such as transfer, license and co-existence agreements
- Registered Patent Attorney (New Zealand and Australia)
- Trade Mark Attorney (New Zealand and Australia)
- Barrister and Solicitor of the High Court of
- 1997 Bachelor of Laws, Victoria University of Wellington
- 1996 Bachelor of Arts (French), Victoria University of Wellington
Awards & Recognition
Articles by Lucy Hudson
- 04 03 2020Brexit and Intellectual property rights
- 20 11 2019How may Brexit affect my IP rights in the UK?
- 30 04 2019Australian Trade Mark Registrations – Important Change to the Non-use Period
- 13 08 2013Trader Beware – New consumer laws set to increase trader obligations
- 13 02 2013New Food Standard to Affect Nutrition and Health claims – Is Your Business Ready for the Change?
- 08 12 2012Businesses to benefit from international trade mark registration
- 15 11 2012New Zealand accedes to the Madrid Protocol