Baldwins Law Limited
Penny has over 25 years’ experience as a commercial intellectual property lawyer, advising on trade marks, copyright, trade secrets and related commercial agreements.
Penny is a commercial intellectual property lawyer in Australia and New Zealand. She has practiced for more than 25 years and is a registered patent attorney in both countries.
Penny enjoys interacting with her local and international clients and getting to know their business issues. She is passionate about maximising the value of her clients’ intangible assets.
Penny has worked for clients in a number of industries including dairy, food and beverage, wine, education, fashion, energy and FMCG among others. She currently acts for successful local companies Z Energy and Westland Milk Products as well as international companies Harley-Davidson and Novartis, and Australian fashion designer Collette Dinnigan.
Penny is the current President of the New Zealand Institute of Patent Attorneys (NZIPA). Before joining Baldwins, Penny worked for 11 years (four of those as a partner) at full-service law firm Kensington Swan, where she headed up the intellectual property team. Penny started her career at AJ Park.
Penny loves fashion and design and recently completed a beach house renovation project. She enjoys a “big, rich and buttery” Californian chardonnay and the network of colleagues and friends she has established around the world as a result of practicing in this field of the law.
- Trade marks and brand protection issues
- Copyright and Fair Trading Act
- Commercial agreements including franchising
- Licensing, sale and purchase
- Sale and transfer agreements
- Due diligence and IP audits
- Registered Patent Attorney (New Zealand and Australia)
- Trade Mark Attorney (New Zealand and Australia)
- Barrister & Solicitor of the High Court of New Zealand
- 1989 Bachelor of Laws, Victoria University of Wellington
Awards & Recognition
AsiaLaw Leading Lawyers, 2018
AsiaLaw Leading Lawyers, 2017
AsiaLaw Leading Lawyers, 2016
AsiaLaw Leading Lawyers, 2015
ManagingIP Star, 2018/19
ManagingIP Star, 2017
ManagingIP Star, 2016
ManagingIP Star, 2015
ManagingIP Star, 2014
Recommended Lawyer, Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2018
Recommended Lawyer, Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2017
Recommended Lawyer, Legal 500 Asia Pacific 2016
World Trademark Review 1000, 2017
World Trademark Review 1000, 2016
World Trademark Review 1000, 2015
World Trademark Review 1000, 2014
World Trademark Review 1000, 2013
Publications & Citations
Ellis, Jack. (2016). McDonald’s pricing backlash highlights brand control challenge in franchise arrangements. World Trademark Review.
Articles by Penny Catley
- 30 11 2018Copyright Act Review – Issues Paper released
- 10 01 2017Battle of the Masters: MasterCard defeated by the World Masters Games
- 11 07 2016Geographical Indications: Ready or Not Here They Come
- 18 03 2015Release of .nz Domains: Are You Ready?
- 28 11 2014How to stay ahead of your competitors and build brand value
- 09 09 2014Delayed issuance of official notices from the China Trademark Office
- 16 08 2014Copyright: another important way to protect your IP Assets in China
- 24 04 2014Taking down quarterbacks to sportswear giants: trade mark dispute “kicks off” between former NFL pla
- 11 04 2014Swimwear Designer Sees The Folly of Her Ways
- 13 03 2014Traders to acknowledge the source of the haka Ka Mate
- 14 02 2014New Zealand’s flightless creations: Why Kiwis need to protect their intellectual property
- 04 12 2013Copyright’s Blurred Lines
- 29 11 2013A close shave with the Advertising Standards Authority: Knowing your brand’s social media responsibi
- 18 10 2013A U.S. copyright small claims court?
- 12 10 2013The Fame Game: Use of Famous Trade Marks in Video Games
- 12 10 2013Land of Plenty but Too Close to Home?
- 01 10 2013gTLDs: New USPTO Trade Mark Examination Guidelines
- 13 03 2013Making a Spectacle of Yourself
- 08 12 2012Businesses to benefit from international trade mark registration
- 15 11 2012New Zealand accedes to the Madrid Protocol
- 13 11 2012Surfing the Social Media Wave