Associate | Auckland
Piers specialises in intellectual property development, protection, and enforcement, particularly in trade mark, copyright, domain name and associated commercialisation matters.
Piers has specialist expertise in new brand ideation, trade mark protection and enforcement, and intellectual property portfolio development. He provides strategic advice in relation to commercialisation, freedom to market, consumer protection legislation, domain name and online disputes, and intellectual property infringement matters.
Having practiced in intellectual property since 2001, Piers has a wealth of industry experience. He has worked with SMEs and multinational corporations in New Zealand, as well as a UK firm of patent attorneys and a major multinational FMCG beverages company in Europe.
Piers has a strong interest in design and media. He also has experience in the creation and commercialisation of new products and brands, both at Baldwins and in client-side roles, which has given him a unique understanding of clients’ needs and opportunities.
- Trade mark protection, prosecution, opposition, filing, enforcement and portfolio management.
- Brand development and IP commercialisation
- Infringement and opposition
- Domain name disputes and portfolio management
- Parallel importation
- Consumer protection (including Fair Trading Act and passing off)
- Freedom to market
- NZIPA -New Zealand Institute of Patent Attorneys - Student Member
- AUTLSS - AUT Law Students Society