Senior Associate | Auckland
Rachel specialises in trade mark development, protection and enforcement in Australasia and worldwide.
Rachel’s expertise include trade mark clearance searches, filing strategies, prosecution, opposition, revocation and invalidity proceedings. She also provides strategic trade mark portfolio advice.
Rachel enjoys working closely with clients to align their intellectual property strategy to match their business needs and goals.
With over 15 years’ experience in intellectual property Rachel has a wealth of knowledge to provide the right strategic advice to her clients. Having registered as a patent attorney in 2006, Rachel continues to grow her knowledge on worldwide IP rights, including protection of trade marks through the Madrid Protocol. In 2014 she became a team leader of one of the three trade mark teams based in Auckland, however she regularly travels to Australia to work with clients
For many years Rachel has provided tutoring to students who are sitting the trade mark exam as part of the patent attorney qualification regime.
Outside of work, Rachel is on the Board of Trustees for her children’s school and is also the President of the North Harbour Mini Motocross club where her children compete. When time allows Rachel loves heading out on the harbour for a scuba dive or to go fishing.
- Trade mark availability and protection
- Trade mark oppositions and revocations in Australasia
- Strategic advice on local and international trade mark portfolios
- Providing advice, putting steps into place for patent owners to keep their market advantage, once patent has expired.
- Advice on brand dilution and preventing generisicm.
- Registered Patent Attorney (New Zealand and Australia)
- 2007 Certificate in Business Studies, Massey University
Articles by Rachel McDonald
- 13 12 2016‘Limited edition’ or a case of trade mark use it or lose it?
- 05 10 2016Geographical Indications: Progress following the Primary Production Select Committee
- 31 08 2016IP Australia confirms patent and trade mark fee changes
- 26 05 2016New Zealand’s TPPA Amendment Bill: impact on the Trade Marks Act 2002
- 04 03 2016She should be so lucky: Kylie Minogue opposes Kylie Jenner’s bid to trade mark “KYLIE”
- 07 05 2015Don’t be .SUCKER punched by the latest domain extension!
- 16 01 2015Company Names and Trade Marks: A couple of helpful points
- 07 08 2013New Zealand Joins the Nice Agreement
- 08 02 2013A Picture is Worth a Thousand …. Dollars???