Baldwins Law Limited
Sarah specialises in trade mark strategies, trade mark advice, and disputes on both the local and international stage, bringing a commercial focus that puts the business needs of her clients first.For 18 years, Sarah has advised local and international clients on trade mark infringement issues, prosecution strategies, branding strategies, and the enforcement of trade mark rights in New Zealand and around the world. Sarah offers her clients pragmatic advice, without the legalese, that is commercially sound.
Sarah’s clients cover a wide range of different industries, including: food and beverages (in particular honey, dairy, nutritional products, and wine), agri-businesses, FMCG, software, skincare products, building services, furniture, apparel, energy, retail, and wholesale services. Her experience includes the management of trade mark portfolios and disputes for some of New Zealand’s major multinationals, implementing trade mark strategies in more than 100 countries internationally, negotiating co-existence where necessary, due diligence, litigation strategies, trade mark licensing, and more.
Sarah’s career started in 2001 with one of New Zealand’s major commercial firms. Sarah then specialised in commercial IP and trade marks with other New Zealand IP firms before being made Special Counsel in 2018.
Sarah enjoys working with her clients to achieve results that bring clients’ IP and business needs together. Outside of work, Sarah enjoys spending time with her family, hiking, running, and exploring art galleries.
- Trade mark strategies, availability, prosecution, and enforcement
- Branding reviews and IP audits
- Evidential preparation and strategies for oppositions, revocations, invalidity, and trade mark proceedings
- Negotiation and preparation of settlement agreements, co-existence, consent, terms, licensing, confidentiality agreements etc.
- IPSANZ – Intellectual Property Society of Australia and New Zealand - Member
- Presenter at IPTA 2019 – Institute of Patent and Trade Mark Attorneys of Australia
- Intellectual Property Office of New Zealand – Technical Focus Group 2014 - 2019
- Barrister & Solicitor of the High Court of New Zealand
- 2014 Masters of Laws, Corporate and Commercial Law (First Class Honours), Auckland University
- 2001 Bachelor of Laws, Victoria University of Wellington
- 1998 Bachelor of Arts (History) with Honours (First Class), Otago University