Baldwins Law Limited
Sue uses her 22 years’ experience in commercial and intellectual property law to assist clients with all aspects of trade mark and branding.
Sue has been a trade mark specialist with Baldwins since 1993 and a partner in the Auckland office since 2000. From 2008 to 2015 she led the partnership as chairperson. Sue works primarily in the areas of trade marks, managing intellectual property portfolios, preparing related agreements, and providing commercial and strategic advice on trade mark oppositions in New Zealand and internationally.
Sue has served on numerous international committees and is currently on the International Trade Association Madrid System subcommittee as well as the Marques Famous and Well Known Marks Team.
Before joining Baldwins, Sue spent eight years as a corporate solicitor/company secretary for Lion Nathan Limited.
When not advising clients, Sue enjoys being outdoors and has competed in outrigger canoe racing for many years. She has a keen interest in following all sorts of sports, especially the All Blacks and her husband’s Presidents Team.
• Trade marks
• IP portfolio management
• Due diligence and audit
• Brand creation and architecture
• Liquor and hospitality industries
• Sports law
- ADLS - Auckland District Law Society
- AWLA - Auckland Women Lawyers' Association - Member
- ANZSLA - Australia and New Zealand Sports Law Association
- INTA - International Trade Mark Association
- IPSANZ - Intellectual Property Society of Australia and New Zealand
- LESI - Licensing Executives Society International
- NZIPA - New Zealand Institute of Patent Attorneys - Fellow
- NZLS - New Zealand Law Society
- NZSN - New Zealand Society of Notaries Inc
- PTMG - Pharmaceutical Trade Mark Group
- Registered Patent Attorney (New Zealand and Australia)
- Barrister and Solicitor of the High Court of
- Admitted as a Legal Practitioner of the Supreme Court of New South Wales
- Notary Public (New Zealand)
- 1986 Bachelor of Laws, University of Auckland
Awards & Recognition
World Trademark Review 1000, 2016
World Trademark Review 1000, 2015
World Trademark Review 1000, 2014
World Trademark Review 1000, 2013
Articles by Sue Ironside
- 13 04 2016Before you play, “check” if you’re infringing copyright
- 11 12 2015.brands – the growth of new domains
- 12 08 2015A Modern Look for the Community Trade Mark
- 13 04 2015Encouraging Origins – Geographic Indications may finally become registrable in New Zealand.
- 10 03 2015Out on the Second Strike: Copyright Tribunal Refuses Order for Payment
- 19 02 2015The end is nigh: England set to introduce plain packaging legislation
- 29 10 2014An Overview: New Zealand’s Natural Health and Supplementary Products Bill
- 27 08 2014Where there is smoke there is fire: plain packaging of tobacco products
- 21 08 2014New Zealand’s Response to the Global Rise of Corruption and Match-Fixing in Sport (update)
- 19 08 2014Interim Guidelines for the classification and labelling of Manuka Honey
- 12 06 2014Ambush marketers, FIFA, the World Cup® and you!
- 12 06 2014New Zealand’s Response to the Global Rise of Corruption and Match-Fixing in Sport
- 14 04 2014Celebrities Sell
- 13 11 2013The Economic Cooperation Agreement: Making Your Mark in Taiwan
- 19 09 2013Mr Whippy: A name worth fighting for
- 07 08 2013New Zealand Joins the Nice Agreement
- 17 07 2013Taiwan and New Zealand sign a Trade Treaty
- 18 06 2013Myanmar: Opportunity Knocks Twice
- 15 04 2013Hot Demand for Intellectual Property Rights
- 08 03 2013Maori Trade Marks Advisory Committee
- 08 02 2013A Picture is Worth a Thousand …. Dollars???
- 13 12 2012Carols by Copyright
- 04 12 2012Opportunity in Myanmar
- 13 11 2012Return to the House for Natural Health Products Bill
- 26 04 2010First Charges Laid Under the Major Events Management Act 2007