Baldwins Law Limited
Tim specialises in complex post- and pre-grant pharmaceutical and agri-chemical patent litigation.
Tim is a lawyer and a registered patent attorney in New Zealand and Australia. He specialises in complex pharmaceutical and agri-chemical patent litigation and in pre-grant oppositions before the Intellectual Property Office of New Zealand (IPONZ) and also IP Australia. Tim leads Baldwins’ chemical and biochemical patent teams and splits his time between Baldwins’ Auckland and Wellington offices.
Tim has represented clients before the Privy Council (then New Zealand’s highest Court) and also before the New Zealand Supreme Court. His litigation and client advisory experience has primarily been directed to pharmaceuticals, veterinary medicines, chemicals and chemical processes, but has also included litigation in the mechanical field (sawmills).
His litigation and client advisory experience has involved advising in relation to the Pharmac tendering process for subsidised pharmaceutical supply, as well as patent infringement, validity and enforcement issues. Tim also prosecutes pharmaceutical and chemical related patent applications before both IPONZ and IP Australia for local and international clients.
- Complex pharmaceutical and chemical patent litigation
- Pharmaceuticals, veterinary medicines, chemicals and chemical processes
- Client counselling
- Registered Patent Attorney (New Zealand and Australia)
- Barrister and Solicitor of the High Court of New Zealand
- Admitted as a Lawyer of the Supreme Court of Queensland
- 1996 Bachelor of Laws, Victoria University of Wellington
- 1985 Master of Science (Hons), Massey University
Awards & Recognition
Publications & Citations
- Ancare New Zealand Ltd v Fort Dodge New Zealand & Anor (New Zealand)  UKPC 8 (on appeal from Ancare v Cyanamid below)
- Ancare New Zealand Ltd v Cyanamid of NZ Ltd  3 NZLR 299 (Court of Appeal)
- Peterson Portable Sawing Systems Limited v Lucas  3 NZLR 721 (NZ Supreme Court)
- Ballance Agri-Nutrients Limited v Ravensdown Fertiliser Co-op Limited & Anor HC Auckland CIV 2009-404-2171
Articles by Tim Jackson
- 19 12 2016Amendments to New Zealand’s Patents Act set to become law
- 02 12 2016New Zealand’s FTA tariff finder – essential information for exporters and importers
- 31 08 2016IP Australia confirms patent and trade mark fee changes
- 12 07 2016New Zealand’s TTPA Amendment Bill – Patent Term Extension Consultation
- 27 06 2016Brexit and your UK and European IP rights
- 27 05 2016New Zealand’s TPPA Amendment Bill: Patents Act & ACVM Act Amendments
- 17 05 2016Extension of patent term in New Zealand based on unreasonable IP Australia delays?
- 06 11 2015Attacking accepted patent applications in NZ: A plurality of approaches to unity
- 22 10 2015What’s your priority (date for your patent claim)?
- 08 10 2015The TPP changes the IP landscape in New Zealand
- 08 10 2015IP Australia suspends examination of patent applications claiming nucleic acid sequences
- 18 09 2015New Zealand Punching Above its Weight in Global Innovation Index 2015
- 07 09 2015Piggy-backing to market? TPP negotiations bring data exclusivity periods of biologics into public
- 02 09 2014Stricter requirements for New Zealand companies and limited partnerships now in force
- 15 08 2014TPP, CETA and IP – Can New Zealand Learn from the Canadian Anagram?
- 13 06 2014Research Commercialisation trailblazers recognised at KiwiNet awards
- 10 06 2014Intellectual Property Rights Objectives of the US from the TPP
- 20 05 20142014 Budget addresses “black-hole” tax treatment of R&D expenditure
- 20 05 20142014 Budget provides R&D tax boost
- 11 12 2013Australia joins the Global Patent Prosecution Highway. Has New Zealand been left in the slow lane?
- 25 10 2013Trans-Tasman Patent Changes – Single Application and Examination?
- 12 10 2013New Zealand to refuse ‘obvious’ patents at examination
- 13 12 2012Results of Government Review of Data Protection Laws