Baldwins Law Limited
Wes specialises in the development and commercialisation of patent and registered design portfolios.
Wes works primarily in patents and also advises on copyright and registered design protection. He specialises in drafting patent specifications, providing validity and infringement advice, preparing license and other technology transfer agreements, and advising on intellectual property portfolio management and IP strategy.
Wes has technical expertise in the electrical, electronics, communications and software fields. His electrical engineering degree studies also involved courses in mechanical and structural engineering subjects.
Wes’ clients include Phitek Systems in the aviation industry and Auckland UniServices, the commercial arm of New Zealand’s largest university. UniServices is a world leader in the development of contactless power transfer technologies, particularly wireless vehicle charging.
Wes first practiced in the intellectual property field in 1989. He joined Baldwins in 2002 and became a partner of the firm in 2006. He has led the partnership as Chairman since 2015.
- Registered designs
- IP portfolio management
- IP strategy
- Electrical and electronics technologies
- Communications and software
- IPSANZ - Intellectual Property Society of Australia and New Zealand
- LES - Licensing Executives Society - Former Regional Chair and Trustee at Large
- NZIPA - New Zealand Institute of Patent Attorneys - Fellow
- NZLS - New Zealand Law Society – Member
- APAA – Asian Patent Attorneys Association – Co-chair Designs Committee, Member Website Committee and 2017 Conference Organising Committee
- APAA NZ Group – Secretary & Treasurer
- Exam Board Member for the NZ Patent Attorney Examinations
- Registered Patent Attorney in New Zealand and Australia
- Barrister & Solicitor of the High Court of
- Qualified Trust Account Supervisor
- 2000 Bachelor of Laws, University of Auckland
- 1988 Bachelor of Engineering (Elec), University of Auckland
Awards & Recognition
Articles by Wes Jones
- 13 08 2014New Patent Law for New Zealand – Saving on Renewal Fees
- 02 03 2013Business Method Patent Rejected by Australian Federal Court
- 30 08 2012Patents Bill - Changes to Computer Program Exclusion Proposed
- 01 07 2010Patents back in business, at least in the US
- 31 03 2010Select Committee reports on new Patents Bill in New Zealand
- 08 11 2008Do we have the technology to succeed?
- 01 05 2008New World Order: Changes In Technology Patent Trends
- 01 05 2008One click lands book vendor in cart